Siamamulets - Theravada Buddhism & Thai Amulets Online Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Siamamulets - Theravada Buddhism & Thai Amulets Online Discussion Forum > Archives Folders > Gatherings

Notices

Gatherings Get-togethers and outings for fellow members. Organize small outings to view amulets, tour amulet shops, etc and learn more from each others' experiences

Old 03-01-2011, 19:01   #1
mindfulness

Karma Reputation Points: 120 : mindfulness has many friendsmindfulness has many friends

Awards Showcase
2nd placing 1st placing 1st placing 3rd placing 
Total Awards: 4

Default Open house: Dana to Ajahn Cattamalo

Dear bros and sis
My family wish to share in the joy of dana to Ajahn Cattamalo and invite you to this dana occassion. We welcome you to take part in the lunch dana. You may wish to give dana to Ajahn Cattamalo which can be non-vegetarian. Details:

Saturday, 10.30am 8 Jan11
Address: Please sms me at my hp below for details.

After lunch dana, there will be dharma Q & A with Ajahn Cattamalo.

Biography: Ajahn Cattamalo is a German, trained in Ajahn Chah's forest tradition in Thailand. He is the deputy Abbot at Bodhinyana Buddhist Monastery in Western Australia. His style of teaching is no-nonsense and straight to the point. "I like to say things as they are" are the words of Ajahn Cattamalo.

Last edited by mindfulness; 03-01-2011 at 19:05.
mindfulness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 19:19   #2
lppaefans
Honorary Member

Karma Reputation Points: 1627 : lppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to all

Sadhu sadhu sadhu
lppaefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 20:33   #3
mindfulness

Karma Reputation Points: 120 : mindfulness has many friendsmindfulness has many friends

Awards Showcase

Ajahn Cattamalo will be in town from 2 to 7 Jan 2011.

A) Meditation Retreat (Non-residential)

Ajahn will be conducting a retreat from 2 to 5 Jan (Sunday to Wednesday). Registration is required via way1966@gmail.com This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it (please state your Name and Contact No.). Vegetarian lunch will be provided. Costs: FOC (donations are welcomed to defray the costs of holding the retreat).

B) Dhamma Talks

There will be a series of Dhamma Talks in the evening. NO registration is required and details are available in the poster (click the above poster for better viewing).

Bearing with Difficulties - 4 Jan (Tuesday), 7.00pm - 8.30pm @ Wat Ananda
Training this Mind - 5 Jan (Wednesday), 7.00pm - 8.30pm @ Wat Ananda

Shortcut to Nibbana - 6 Jan (Thursday), 7.30pm - 9.00pm @ Poh Ming Tse Temple

Buddhist Practice - 7 Jan (Friday), 7.30pm - 9.00pm @ Poh Ming Tse Temple

Wat Ananda @ 50-B Jalan Bukit Merah; Poh Ming Tse Temple @ 438 Dunearn Road

http://way.org.sg/joomla15/index.php...jcattamalo2011

Last edited by mindfulness; 03-01-2011 at 20:35.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:18   #4
mindfulness

Awards Showcase

Thanks to bro Foret for updating that Ajahn Cattamalo's current residence is he's now the abbot of Muttodaya Forest Monastery in Nuremberg, Germany.

bro Foret, sorry to know you could not join us, will pass your message to Ajahn Cattamalo

Last edited by mindfulness; 04-01-2011 at 12:21.
Old 08-01-2011, 18:01   #5
mindfulness

Awards Showcase

Ajahn Cattamalo is a wonderful teacher and gave clear answers to the questions after our Dana offerings.
Q. Can we transfer merits to our departed ones and will they received the merits?
Ajahn explained those in the peta Loka can accept our merits. They have not yet ready to be reborn. Some may stay there for quite some time for example our ancestors and we can help them by transferring merits. One important point is those in deva world would not need our merits.
Q. *Why give Dana?
By giving, the giver and receiver are rejoice and this create positive feeling. There should be purity of Dana in three conditions: the giver, the gift and the receiver of the gift. Giving a Dana through right means is purity of the giver. On the other hand if someone robs and then give money to the person, the condition of purity of the giver and the money is not there but the receiver who does not know will receive it with good intention. In this case, it is a mixture of good and impure elements.
Q. *Are amulets powerful?
Ajahn said yes depending on the condition of the monk who pours his mindfulness into the amulets. He gave the example of lack of mindfulness if you listen three words from him and your mind wanders and returns to listen another three words later and roams again, you are not concenrating. *Ajahn related a few years ago on a certain *amulet ceremony when many monks came to bless the amulets. *They were well known monks and one monk who was a good meditator could perceive these monks' minds and found most of them were not concentrating on their mind or samadhi. Therefore the power of the amulets is real and depends on the focus of the mind of the monk. *I got a feeling Ajahn is saying most amulets lack power due to the lack of concentration of mindfulness at the point of blessing them. *At this point, Ajahn said to me as I asked the amulet question, "come here I have an amulet for you" . He gave me a beautiful brass amulet from his monastery made 2553 (see photo). *Ajahn revealed he carried, not wear, an ancient LP Thuad amulet which he puts near his alms bowl. *He said LP Thuad amulets are for smooth sailing and jokingly said with a grin, he hopes no one would steal his alms food.*
Q. Is Buddhism a religion, a way of life or a philosophy?
Ajahn replied before he used to see the differentiation. *Now he accepts that Buddhism is a religion. I agree on this when religion is a system of beliefs.*
Old 08-01-2011, 18:30   #6
lppaefans
Honorary Member

Karma Reputation Points: 1627 : lppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to alllppaefans is a name known to all

Tks bro. Can monks himself waer amulets?? I wonder vinaya allow or not?
lppaefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 18:38   #7
iamdean76

Karma Reputation Points: 979 : iamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personalityiamdean76 is a famous personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppaefans View Post
Then can monks wear watch, drive car, carry handphone, keep money ... go shopping at odd hours?
iamdean76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 19:20   #8
mindfulness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by lppaefans View Post
bro, IF your question arises out of my description of Ajahn Cattamalo's carrying a lp thuad amulet is taken out of context, it is solely my reporting and hope there is no slur to this good monk. Pardon me if there is any misinterpretation arising out of this.
Old 08-01-2011, 19:24   #9
mindfulness

Awards Showcase

Me offering dana

Old 08-01-2011, 19:26   #10
mindfulness

Awards Showcase

The amulet Ajahn Cattamalo gave me

Tags
..., acharn, ajahn, amulet, amulets, back, buddha, click, cute, food, ghai, giving, good, long, love, lp thuad, monk, offering, pitta, police, thuad, tok raja, wat, watch